This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for setting up a new Unity Intercom system

Below are a few points to consider when installing a new Unity Intercom system.

- Dedicated Access Point for tech teams
    ----- This keeps too many people from being on a “critical” AP
    ----- You can run any tech team internet you need through this with the obvious exception of something like video streaming
    - Run that dedicated AP at 5GHZ only (this makes a bigger difference than anything else)
    ----- Make sure that you lock your AP down to a particular channel. 5GHz makes this easier since there are so many more channels available.
    ----- You don’t want your AP to automatically select the “best” channel for you since that will cause it to roam occasionally.
    - Hardwire your computer running Unity Server
    - Unity network traffic is already tagged similar to VOIP so it will automatically grab the highest priority on the network
    - Use the "Audio Buffer" settings in the Unity Clients to prevent audio dropouts. The default setting is 120ms but can be taken all the way up to 500ms if needed (I've used Unity Cloud to talk to another guy on the same flight as me with an Audio Buffer of about 400ms, in the air at about 600mph!).
    ----- Keep the Audio Buffer as low as you can without audio dropouts. Most good WiFi systems should be able to run around 80ms in a 3000 room.

We use a relatively low bandwidth so you shouldn’t have to mess with bandwidth management. Using the above tips, we had excellent performance at what I would consider one of the worst environments imaginable, NAB. From our booth location in the main hall, my laptop found 35 APs! By scanning the 5GHz frequencies and locking our AP in on a clean one, we ran fine for the duration of the week-long show. The only times we had problems was when another AP auto-roamed onto the channel we were on. We would have occasional dropouts until we moved our AP over to a different channel.
    Again, the biggest thing to get dialed in is the APs. There shouldn’t be much you have to do on the network side. We use and recommend Ruckus Wireless APs because we have found them to be the best at establishing a connection to a client/device and aggressively hanging on to it. Because of this, we’ve become dealers for Ruckus if you need any help in that area.
Working...
X